HBase >> mail # dev >> Review request for HBASE-7692: Ordered byte[] serialization

+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-02-21, 18:35
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-02-21, 23:04
+
lars hofhansl 2013-02-22, 04:24
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-02-22, 03:23
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-02-22, 07:56
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-02-22, 14:13
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-02-22, 14:31
+
Elliott Clark 2013-02-22, 17:32
+
Matt Corgan 2013-02-22, 18:00
Re: Review request for HBASE-7692: Ordered byte[] serialization
Inline.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Matt Corgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To nitpick a little it wouldn't quite be a sibling of hbase-client because
> hbase-client depends on hbase-common and hbase-protocol while this new one
> will not depend on anything.  Would hbase-server be able to see it?  Would
> it basically be a standalone module being maintained by HBase?

Not quite true. It makes use of Bytes and ImmutableBytesWritable from
hbase-common.

Also, assuming the original Orderly library goes unmaintained and we want
> people to use it, this will be the primary place to get it.  Having no
> dependencies on other hbase modules is important for people who want to use
> the Orderly library for something unrelated to hbase.  For example, a web
> application that logs data in this format but not directly to hbase.

Orderly has gone unmaintained. The only fork with any activity that I'm
aware of is my own. I'd much rather see it gain the publicity,
additional scrutiny, wider adoption than continue as a pet-project.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Elliott Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Yep the client will be fully separated as soon as rpc changes
> > are stabilized.  Until then keeping up the move patch was just too
> onerous.
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 6:31 AM, Jonathan Hsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Nick,
> > >
> > > I'm +1 for it having its own module, and being a sibling of
> hbase-client.
> > >  I'm assuming the client stuff will happen before we release 0.96 since
> > it
> > > has been started.
> > >
> > > Jon.

> > > conventions