Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Creating a Maven Archetype from Instamo

Creating a Maven Archetype from Instamo
I was talking to Keith about things we can do to try to make life easier
for the user to start trying out Accumulo. We both felt that his Instamo
project was a good starting point, but both agreed there wasn't much
anything better to do than the copy-paste the project and start editing.
My gut told me a Maven archetype would be a good fit, so I started playing.

What I came up with encompasses the same code that is currently checked
into /branches/1.5/examples/instamo (I don't think trunk has diverged
from 1.5 for instamo, has it?) but allows you to run a single command
(in the end when the archetype is published to central) and get some
running Accumulo code! If you want to try it out, you can do the following:

svn co
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/accumulo/contrib/instamo-archetype/trunk/
instamo-archetype-trunk.svn && cd instamo-archetype-trunk.svn
mvn install
cd /somewhere/else
mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeCatalog=local

Choose the instamo-archetype and follow the instructions. There are
defaults for groupId, artifactId, version and (Java) package so that's
another step you don't have to think about. You can override it during
the generation if you have a preference. After you finish, run `mvn
package` to run a simple test or `mvn exec:exec` to run a little
ContinouousIngest job in memory.

My initial thought was to move it out of the Accumulo
trunk/tags/branches and into contrib (thus I put it there) so that we
can release/version it without the rest of Accumulo. I envision that
being easier for us to apply maintenance and updates with new examples.

Finally, as always, please provide any feedback you might have on what
you might think is a good starter for people to have when playing with
Accumulo. Keith mentioned making a test that spins up the shell against
a MiniAccumuloCluster which would be simple and useful.

Thanks!

- Josh

[1] Code:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/accumulo/contrib/instamo-archetype/trunk