Pig >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Remove Penny from contrib

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove Penny from contrib
Just removing it doesn't require any more than what we have done.  Based on the discussion I've seen so far I plan on submitting a patch that does an svn rm on the directory.

If we want to put the code somewhere outside of Apache, then we have to formally vote as a PMC to spin it out.  That's because we're legally releasing the code from being part of Pig and Apache to become an outside entity.  Our bylaws state that we require a 2/3 majority of the PMC to vote for adoption of a new code base.  This seems like the closest action to discontinuing a section of the code, so I would assert it is the best criteria to use.

I wouldn't be in favor of dumping it on github unless someone expresses active interest.  If someone comes along in the future and expresses that interest we can still easily do it.  The code will live "forever" in Apache's SVN.

Alan.