HBase, mail # user - Enabling compression

+
Mohit Anchlia 2012-07-24, 20:28
+
Rob Roland 2012-07-24, 20:31
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2012-07-24, 20:34
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-07-24, 20:37
Re: Enabling compression
Mohit Anchlia 2012-07-24, 20:39
Thanks! I was trying it out and I see this message when I use COMPRESSION,
but it works when I don't use it. Am I doing something wrong?
hbase(main):012:0> create 't2', {NAME => 'f1', VERSIONS => 1, COMPRESSION
=> 'LZO'}

ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RegionOfflineException: Only 0 of 1
regions are online; retries exhausted.

hbase(main):014:0> create 't3', {NAME => 'f1', VERSIONS => 1}

0 row(s) in 1.1260 seconds
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Also, if I understand it correctly, this will enable the compression
> > for the new put but will not compresse the actual cells already stored
> > right? For that, we need to run a major compaction of the table which
> > will rewrite all the cells and so compact them?
>
> Yeah, although you may not want to recompact everything all at once in
> a live system. You can just let it happen naturally through cycles of
> flushes and compactions, it's all fine.
>
> J-D

+
Dhaval Shah 2012-07-24, 21:04