Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> Curator, a ZooKeeper Recipe Proposal

Re: Curator, a ZooKeeper Recipe Proposal
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Flavio Junqueira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jordan, Here is some feedback. I like the proposal and it makes sense
> to have such a project as either sub-project or incubator. I have a few
> concerns, though:
>
> 1- I haven't been following closely the development of the recipes, but I
> wonder if it really makes sense to deprecate the current ones in favor of
> Curator's, or if it is a better idea to keep multiple versions in the case
> of duplicates. People in the community have spent time on the current
> recipes, so I don't like very much the idea of dropping the current recipes
> without some evidence that the community accepts it. Note that I'm not
> saying that deprecating is not the right thing to do, I'm simply saying
> that we need to make sure that the community agrees.

I agree that not deprecating is a good thing.  We could mark them with
annotations that indicate that we haven't heard yet from a community of
users.  If we don't hear about significant usage, then deprecation might be
warranted.

2- The set of committers needs to be more diverse. Perhaps it would be
> easier to find more committers if you follow the incubation process, given
> that typically people sign up for committership once you post a proposal
> there. I wonder how many other people on this list would like to volunteer
> to become a committer of Curator, though. I like the project, but
> unfortunately I don't have the cycles to do it.

I would volunteer.
> 3- If Curator becomes a sub-project of ZooKeeper, then you need at least
> one mentor. Is there anyone who would like to sign up to mentor Curator?

Likewise.