Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> Branch for reconfiguration (ZOOKEEPER-107)?

+
Flavio Junqueira 2012-01-20, 17:25
+
Alexander Shraer 2012-01-20, 18:47
+
Benjamin Reed 2012-01-20, 23:29
+
Thomas Koch 2012-01-21, 06:51
Re: Branch for reconfiguration (ZOOKEEPER-107)?
I like the idea of a github repository to share code changes in
progress. Pat has also pointed it out offline.

-Flavio

On Jan 21, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Thomas Koch wrote:

> Flavio Junqueira:
>> This message is to throw the idea and get a sense of what people
>> think, especially the ones working closely on it like Alex, about
>> creating a branch for the reconfiguration work. The rationale for
>> proposing it is the following. In our experience with Zab last year,
>> we implemented modifications that introduced a bunch of critical
>> bugs.
>> I'm not sure whether we could have been more careful, maybe so, but
>> my
>> perception is that it is not unusual to introduce such bugs once one
>> touches upon a large chunk of core code. Perhaps it would have been
>> better to develop it on the side and test more before merging.
>>
>> For reconfiguration, it sounds like we will be touching a big chunk
>> of
>> core code again, so I wonder if it makes sense to work on a separate
>> branch, test, and merge once we are convinced. I must also say that I
>> understand that merging branches can be quite a pain, so I would
>> completely understand if the general feeling is that it outweighs the
>> benefits.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Flavio
>
> Hi Flavio,
>
> I've been working with the Git mirror of ZooKeeper and a Git branch
> of my
> proposed patches for two months, constantly (daily) rebasing my work
> against
> trunk. Every commit in my branch reflected a jira issue. If an issue
> got
> accepted into trunk, I rebased by Git branch on top of the new trunk
> but
> without the respectiv commit:
>
> https://github.com/thkoch2001/zookeeper/commits/proposed_patches
>
> It's not as hard as it sounds and it keeps your changes current
> instead of a
> merge nightmare after weeks of separated development in trunk and in
> your
> branch.
>
> I believe, that there is still a lot of valuable refactoring in the
> above
> branch that would make any ZK development a lot easier.
>
> A Subversion branch won't help you, I think.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301

+
Ted Dunning 2012-01-21, 09:09
+
Patrick Hunt 2012-01-26, 00:25