HBase >> mail # dev >> DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?

DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?
At the contributor's pow wow a few days ago [1], during a discussion
about whether or not commits should have more friction applied -- i.e.
have more review before they go in -- it was thought that we might
benefit if we had "lieutenants" over-seeing individual HBase
components.  A lieutenant would be someone who has an interest and an
understanding of how a particular component works (or should work).  A
lieutenant does not need to be a committer.  Before committing a patch
that touched on a particular component, the patch would have to have
been +1'd by the component lieutenant before it could go in (or if the
lieutenant is MIA, it was suggested by the Mighty Jon Hsieh that two
+1s by other contributors/committers would do instead; this latter
rule would probably also apply when a patch spanned components).

We already have a few folks signed up, knowingly or otherwise, as
component owners [1].

What do folks think?

Should we go ahead w/ this project?  If so, any volunteers (I signed
up a few of the obvious component leads)?  I can add you as component
lieutenant into JIRA.  We can add more components if you don't see
your interest listed.

St.Ack

1. http://www.meetup.com/hbaseusergroup/events/80621872/