Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop

+
Arun C Murthy 2012-07-26, 01:40
+
Edward J. Yoon 2012-07-26, 02:09
+
Mahadev Konar 2012-07-26, 04:44
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-07-26, 02:03
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-07-26, 02:11
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-07-26, 02:30
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-07-26, 06:16
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-07-26, 15:00
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-07-26, 17:20
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-07-26, 17:40
+
Robert Evans 2012-07-26, 14:28
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-07-26, 15:00
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-07-26, 17:09
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-07-27, 03:20
+
Zizon Qiu 2012-07-27, 03:41
+
Harsh J 2012-07-27, 05:58
+
Steve Loughran 2012-07-27, 19:01
+
Tom White 2012-07-26, 14:23
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-07-26, 15:10
+
Steve Loughran 2012-07-26, 17:02
+
Luke Lu 2012-07-26, 17:55
+
Steve Loughran 2012-07-26, 16:59
+
Jun Ping Du 2012-07-26, 23:03
+
Ahmed Radwan 2012-07-26, 20:32
Re: [DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
+1  This would be an improved layering of components.

As others have noted we should probably stop using the term
"subproject" for these, as that's most often used at Apache for things
that are released independently.  Better terms might be "components"
or "modules".  Addressing that might also require restructuring the
website.

Doug

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It's been nearly a year since we merged Hadoop YARN into trunk and we have made several releases since.
>
> It's exciting to see various open-source communities (both in the ASF and externally) start to explore integration with YARN such as Apache Hama, Apache Giraph, Apache S4, Spark etc. This promises to help us realize our hopes of making Apache Hadoop a much more general data processing platform (& storage, of course) and not tied to MapReduce alone for processing data. Furthermore, we already have people contributing interesting prototypes such as DistributedShell and PaaS on YARN.
>
> Given this, I think it would be useful to make YARN a sub-project of Apache Hadoop along with Common, HDFS & MapReduce. I believe this would help other communities realize that they could consider using YARN as a general-purpose resource management layer and help us enhance YARN beyond it's humble beginnings.
>
> Clearly, YARN and MapReduce are different enough that they can and will attract a diverse community.
>
> I'd like to clarify that this proposal *does not* mean we move the code base out of hadoop/common/ tree. It just alleviates hadoop-yarn alongside hadoop-common, hadoop-hdfs & hadoop-mapreduce in hadoop/trunk. Also, there would be *no changes* to release cycles - YARN would be co-released with Common, HDFS & MapReduce.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> ----
>
> What does it mean to the Hadoop developer community?
>
> # Project dependencies
>
> The change is that Hadoop would now have 4 sub-projects: Common, HDFS, YARN & MapReduce. As today, the dependencies *do not change*:
> - Common is the base
> - HDFS depends only on Common
> - YARN depends only on Common & HDFS
> - MapReduce depends on Common, HDFS & YARN.
>
> # Jira & Mailing lists

> We already use separate MAPREDUCE jira issues for making changes to YARN (ResourceManager, NodeManager) and to the MapReduce framework (MapReduce ApplicationMaster, MapReduce runtime etc.). Hence, this isn't a much of a change.
>
> # Subversion
>
> Not much at all! YARN has, since the beginning, been developed with the understanding that it is very independent of MapReduce and the code-bases are already independent i.e. hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-yarn and hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-mapreduce-client.
>
> Essentially the change would be:
> $ svn mv hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-yarn hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn
> ... and the necessary, albeit small, changes to our maven build infrastructure.
>
> # Release Cycles
>
> No changes.
>
> YARN would be co-released with Common, HDFS & MapReduce, as is the case today.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
+
Hitesh Shah 2012-07-26, 20:58