Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-01, 19:53
+
Jagane Sundar 2013-05-03, 06:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-01, 20:16
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-03, 03:40
+
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-05-04, 22:21
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-07, 03:28
+
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-05-04, 22:34
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-01, 21:36
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-04, 06:40
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-09, 05:40
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-09, 13:12
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-09, 14:58
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-09, 21:31
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-09, 21:41
+
Milind Bhandarkar 2013-05-09, 21:59
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-09, 22:08
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-10, 06:14
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-10, 20:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-11, 14:03
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-13, 04:26
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-13, 15:33
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-13, 20:41
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-14, 05:35
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-11, 00:48
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-09, 21:41
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-09, 23:38
+
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-05-04, 22:33
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-05, 01:38
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-06, 17:43
+
Robert Evans 2013-05-03, 15:23
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-10, 00:18
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-10, 00:25
+
J. Rottinghuis 2013-05-10, 02:40
+
lohit 2013-05-10, 02:58
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-10, 04:13
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-10, 06:39
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-11, 01:05
+
Uma Maheswara Rao G 2013-05-10, 05:03
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-10, 18:55
+
Stack 2013-05-10, 20:33
Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
If I have to get to the other end of 14 busses I can either do it Evel
Knievel style and jump them all at once or I can walk from one end to the
other, one step at a time.  I personally would rather take many different
small steps than try to take one giant flying leap and risk missing.

Also I don't think anyone said that we are going to to a major release per
feature.  I thought the proposal was to do a 2.0 release before snapshots
is merged in and a have snapshots go into 2.1.  I don't really want to
open up the version numbering discussion again but I want my quote to be
interpreted the way I intended it to be.  I don't see snapshots as a major
change.  I see it as a step.  I just don't see a reason to keep two
parallel lines branch-2 where we try hard to maintain compatibility, and
trunk where is is a dumping ground that only makes it more difficult to
move to in the future.

--Bobby

On 5/10/13 1:55 PM, "Arun C Murthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On May 9, 2013, at 10:03 PM, Uma Maheswara Rao G wrote:
>
>>  Adding new features really a great thing and surely each big feature
>>can be included in one one major release as well.
>

>Surely the one thing we have learnt over the last 4-5 years in this
>project is that we cannot make too many major releases. Notice how long
>hadoop-0.20/hadoop-1 lives; the same will happen with hadoop-2.x. Look at
>Bobby's message on this thread on *-dev lists:

>Each major release is a *lot* of work and is, subsequently, an
>opportunity where incompatibilities at various levels creep in - our
>users are not well served by this.
>
>So, it's a  fallacy that we can and should make major releases per
>feature.
>
>Arun

+
Chris Nauroth 2013-05-13, 17:37