Accumulo >> mail # user >> Getting the IP Address

+
Ravi Mutyala 2013-08-28, 15:38
+
Eric Newton 2013-08-28, 16:53
+
Marc Reichman 2013-08-28, 16:57
+
Sean Busbey 2013-08-28, 16:59
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-08-28, 17:03
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 17:32
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-08-28, 17:44
+
John Vines 2013-08-28, 17:54
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 19:00
+
John Vines 2013-08-28, 19:03
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 20:26
+
Keith Turner 2013-08-28, 20:35
Re: Getting the IP Address
Seems like a question a common and complex as which IP address to listen on
would have a fair amount of precedent in open-source projects that we could
pull from. Are we reinventing the wheel? Does anyone have an example of an
application like ours with the same set of supported platforms that has
already solved this problem and whose solution you like? Are there elements
of what we do that make us better/worse/different that something like the
scripting and networking code built for HBase or HDFS?

Adam

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Ah, you're right, of course.
>>
>> In that case, I'm also wondering about NAT situations and other
>> strange networking situations. For those especially, it seems what we
>> need to do is treat the bind address differently from the advertised
>> address.
>>
>> Perhaps attempting to use $(hostname -i) and falling back to
>> $(hostname -I | head -1) would be best?
>>

> I just noticed one wrinkle with "hostname -I",  it may return IPV6
> addresses.   When I first looked at the man page, I thought it would
> exclude IPV6.  But on closes inspection I noticed it excludes "IPv6
> link-local addresses".  So hostname -I will probably cause problems if the
> first thing it returns is a IPV6 addr.
>

>> --
>> Christopher L Tubbs II
>> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM, John Vines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Christopher,
>> >
>> > It's not a matter of determining which port to bind to. It's for
>> recording
>> > it's location in zookeeper so other nodes can find it.

>> the
>> equivalent of

>> all
>> can