Accumulo >> mail # user >> Tabletserver message "Running low on memory"

Re: Tabletserver message "Running low on memory"

On 11/12/13, 1:25 PM, Terry P. wrote:
> Hi Josh,
> Thanks for your exhaustive reply. I am using Native maps, and it's set
> to 1G in my accumulo-site.xml.  The data and index cache settings there
> are still at their 3G default values as well (50M and 512M).  I
> definitely didn't realize that and will increase their size given I have
> plenty of memory sitting around idle (it was intended to be used for
> caching too!).
>
> Will increasing the tserver.memory.maps.max in accumulo-site.xml perhaps
> help reduce these warning messages?  My only concern is that an operator
> may be monitoring the Accumulo Monitor GUI and see the memory warnings
> and think "Oh no, we're almost out of memory, I should page someone!"

Hahaha, yeah, I know what you mean. You can tell them that it's just a
"warning" and not an "error" :P. Increasing the size of the memory maps
won't make the error go away. I believe that warning is purely over JVM
heap. I don't believe there's any code (outside of the flush-policy for
when to close a native map and start a new one to make sure the
tserver.memory.maps.max is observed) to monitor the size of the native maps.

You would want to increase JVM heap size to keep that error from
happening or reduce the amounts of heap you give to the index block or
data block cache.

> Based on what you've seen, is the warning innocuous and can just be ignored?

IMO, yes. Given with a strong recommendation that you know that you're
not spending any significant time in garbage collection.

`fgrep 'gc ParNew'` on your tserver.debug.log and not seeing "spiky" gc
cycles.