HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal

Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal

> I've been in touch with this team for the last 18 months or so.
> They're good people, smart, and have a healthy respect for HBase and
> our team. Though they haven't contributed code or participated on the
> lists, I can vouch that they do follow our development and generally
> do understand HBase as well as what makes their system different. In
> the context of the incubator proposal, they're trying to explain why
> their system is different than HBase, and not trying to knock our
> project.

Sure, I'm not trying to knock the people or the project.  I am trying to
point out what I view as some inaccuracies in the comparison vs. HBase.  But
I haven't seen the code, so I can only speculate.

There are a couple things to keep in mind about the story here:
> - they first evaluated HBase 3 years ago. HBase at that point was not
> usable for their application - I think several of us here remember the
> state of HBase at the time and might have made the same decision. So,
> they started their own project with an internal team of 5-6 people.

I can sympathize, but I don't see how that's relevant to the discussion of
whether it's a good idea to incubate this project now.
> - contributing to open source from within the NSA is not easy, for
> obvious reasons. They've jumped through many hoops to open source
> this, and we should be thankful for that. Now that they're out in open
> source land, I think we'll see them collaborating with us much more
> openly.

Again I can sympathize, and if I didn't make it clear before, I applaud the
efforts to open source this project!  But the question at hand is not
whether it's good to open source the project, but whether it's appropriate
for incubation at the ASF.  And honestly, I don't think where the project is
coming from should play into that decision.

I'm simply pointing out a lack of community involvement to date.  Maybe the
involvement is different with the other Apache projects cited, or maybe that
will change during incubation.  But to the extent that collaboration is
encouraged, I think the lack of involvement to date is relevant.
Gary