HBase >> mail # user >> Re: Question about compactions

Re: Question about compactions
Hi,

A few pointers:
http://search-hadoop.com/m/heoc617XV29/otis+compactions&subj=Re+How+to+check+if+a+major_compact+is+done+
http://search-hadoop.com/m/BDx4S1jMjF92/otis+compactions&subj=How+to+know+it+s+time+for+a+major+compaction+
http://search-hadoop.com/m/9oN1DqPx2R1/otis+compactions&subj=Compaction+throttling+and+per+region+compaction+automation
http://search-hadoop.com/m/u0hsW82Vcr/otis+compactions&subj=How+to+pick+which+region+s+to+major+compact+
Otis
--
HBASE Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm/index.html

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Brennon Church <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> As I understand it, a common performance tweak is to disable major
> compactions so that you don't end up with storms taking things out at
> inconvenient times.  I'm thinking that I should just write a quick script
> to rotate through all of our regions, one at a time, and compact them.
>  Again, if I'm understanding this correctly we should not end up with
> storms as they'll only happen one at a time, and each one doesn't run for
> long.  Does that seem reasonable, or am I missing something?  My hope is to
> run the script regularly.
>
> Corollary question... I recently added drives to our nodes and since I did
> this while they were all still running, basically just restarting the
> datanode underneath to pick up the new spindles, I'm fairly sure I've
> thrown data locality out the window, based on the changed pattern of
> network traffic.  If I'm right, manually running major compactions against
> all of the regions should resolve that, as the underlying data would all
> get written locally.  Again, does that make sense?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Brennon

+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2013-03-21, 17:49