Hive >> mail # user >> Can hive show external table filenames?

+
Keith Wiley 2013-01-31, 19:37
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-01-31, 20:12
+
Keith Wiley 2013-01-31, 21:55
Re: Can hive show external table filenames?
You can execute dfs commands from inside hive

hive>dfs -ls

You can also use virtual columns inside a select

https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-virtualcolumns.html

However there is no direct command in hive to list the files in a
table/partition.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Keith Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hmmm, that doesn't seem to list the files in the directory.
>
> On Jan 31, 2013, at 12:12 , Edward Capriolo wrote:
>
>> Try
>> describe extended <tablename>
>> or
>> describe extended <tablename> (<partition>)
>>
>> the location is one of the properties
>>
>> Edward
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Keith Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> "show tables" shows the HDFS directories which correspond to Hive tables and various select queries show data from inside the files (each row of a file being a row of the overarching table that the entire directory represents)...or so I have convinced myself...but can Hive show the HDFS filenames?  Or is "hadoop fs -ls" the only way to do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

> Keith Wiley     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "You can scratch an itch, but you can't itch a scratch. Furthermore, an itch can
> itch but a scratch can't scratch. Finally, a scratch can itch, but an itch can't
> scratch. All together this implies: He scratched the itch from the scratch that
> itched but would never itch the scratch from the itch that scratched."
>                                            --  Keith Wiley

Keith Wiley 2013-01-31, 23:13