Hadoop >> mail # user >> Memory mapped resources

Re: Memory mapped resources
Blocks live where they land when first created.  They can be moved due to
node failure or rebalancing, but it is typically pretty expensive to do
this.  It certainly is slower than just reading the file.

If you really, really want mmap to work, then you need to set up some native
code that builds an mmap'ed region, but sets all pages to no access if the
corresponding block is non-local and sets the block to access the local
block if the block is local. Then you can intercept the segmentation
violations that occur on page access to non-local data, read that block to
local storage and mmap it into those pages.

This is LOTS of work to get exactly right and must be done in C since Java
can't really handle seg faults correctly.  This pattern is fairly commonly
used in garbage collected languages to allow magical remapping of memory
without explicit tests.