Pig >> mail # user >> filter on a date column?

filter on a date column?
Since there is not date datatype, how do I filter on a date column?
I've been setting the date column as a chararray.

I would like to do something like:
a = filter b by date_col < '2013-01-01';
+
Cheolsoo Park 2013-03-21, 23:46
+
Tim Chan 2013-03-22, 04:11