Bigtop >> mail # user >> Build platform for Bigtop

Re: Build platform for Bigtop
Regarding building CentOS packages on Fedora, I actually used to do it all
the time. I don't remember if I was using Fedora 17 or Fedora 18, but I was
able to install architecture-independent packages on CentOS 6 that I had
built on my laptop. I certainly wouldn't do it in production, but it was
nice to build on my physical host when I wanted to verify changes that I
knew were not closely coupled with `rpm` itself. If you're building native
binaries (like libhdfs) then you definitely want to do it on the target OS
because it will link against glibc, etc... For stuff like that I'd suggest
just using a VM. I use Vagrant all the time and it's a quick way of getting
a real, lightweight CentOS environment to run builds in.