Bigtop >> mail # user >> Generating Relocatable RPMS

Re: Generating Relocatable RPMS
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Truly relocatable DEBs are next to impossible. However, after having a chance
to deal with this issue back at Cloudera, I'm now firmly convinced that somebody
asking for relocatable packages is typically asking for two things:
   #1 be able to install different versions of the same package side-by-side
   #2 be able to install under a common subtree (such as /opt/our/hadoop)

In both of these cases, the package ends up being treated as a glorifies
tarball. Why? Well, because:
   * pre/post install scriplets are downright *dangerous* in those scenarious
   * you have to do all the hooks to /etc/init.d &co manually anyway
   * you can't really use the goodness of yum repos & such.

If packages indeed are treated as a glorified tarballs -- what's wrong with
dpkg -x pkg.deb /path and rpm2cpio pkg.rpm | cpio -i --make-directories ?
Very much +1 to that! At Pivotal (being a home of a world renowned PaaS)
we're looking into exactly that. A combination of Docker/LXC and OSv
containerized deployments that you can 'bake' on the fly provide for
some exciting opportunities. All of this, of course, comes at a price of
breaking a traditional CM (Puppet, etc.) model of classical deployment.

Anyway, if there's a subset of folks who are interested in the next. gen
deployment approaches (especially for ephemeral Hadoop clusters)
I'd love to organize a meetup/pow-wow on that subject.

Thanks,
Roman.