MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster

Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster
I had two servers at home, that's like a small airplane.

However, I have seen silent servers in a lab I am working in.

My price on that rack might be close to $0.

Then I could host a rack for $500/month. And if a machine breaks, I will
throw it away. So that makes for $ maintenance cost.

You see, I am still toying with the idea.

Thank you for everyone's answers.

Mark

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Ted Dunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> While Ted ignores that the world is going to end before X-Mas, he does
>> hit the crux of the matter head on.
>>
>> If you don't have a place to put it, the cost of setting it up would kill
>> you, not to mention that you can get newer hardware which is better suited
>> for less.
>>
>> Having said that... if you live in the frozen tundra like Montana, or
>> some place like ... er Canada or Siberia... , it may make more sense to use
>> it to heat your home with it.
>> Just think of the side benefits from all that potential additional
>> compute power....  :-P
>>

> I can say from experience that the sound of a bunch of servers in a home
> setting is a novel one that is probably unlike anything you have known
> before.
>
> If you haven't experienced that, then taking on these servers could be
> classified as novelty seeking behavior.

+
Lance Norskog 2012-12-21, 19:37
+