HDFS >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Remove append?

+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 00:37
+
Dave Shine 2012-03-21, 12:36
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-03-22, 08:11
+
Tim Broberg 2012-03-21, 18:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 18:52
+
Dave Shine 2012-03-21, 19:07
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-03-21, 17:17
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 17:32
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 17:33
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-03-21, 17:47
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 18:27
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-03-21, 19:30
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 21:14
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-03-21, 19:48
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 21:09
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-03-21, 22:06
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 22:16
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-03-21, 22:48
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 23:30
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-03-21, 20:24
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-03-22, 08:26
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-22, 17:25
+
Scott Carey 2012-03-24, 02:44
+
Colin McCabe 2012-03-26, 19:53
+
Scott Carey 2012-03-26, 20:53
+
Sanjay Radia 2012-03-21, 20:57
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 21:08
+
Tsz Wo Sze 2012-03-21, 20:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-21, 20:58
+
Daryn Sharp 2012-03-22, 17:15
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-22, 17:47
+
Scott Carey 2012-03-24, 02:26
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-03-22, 23:27
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-23, 00:41
+
Scott Carey 2012-03-24, 02:46
+
Tsz Wo Sze 2012-03-23, 00:03
+
Eli Collins 2012-03-23, 00:49
+
Colin McCabe 2012-03-26, 20:02
+
Tsz Wo Sze 2012-03-26, 20:55
+
Colin McCabe 2012-03-26, 21:31
+
Tsz Wo Sze 2012-03-27, 02:46
+
Dhruba Borthakur 2012-03-23, 01:18
Re: [DISCUSS] Remove append?
I think Yarn/MR might be able to benefit from the ability to append to logs in hdfs.  It might reduce some of the after-the-fact copying of logs into hdfs.

Daryn
On Mar 22, 2012, at 8:18 PM, Dhruba Borthakur wrote:

> I think "append" would be useful. But not precisely sure which applications
> would use it. I would vote to keep the code though and not remove it.
>
> -dhruba
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Eli Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Tsz Wo Sze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> @Eli, Removing a feature would simplify the design and code.  I think
>> this is a generally true statement but not specific to Append.  The
>> question is whether Append is useless and it should be removed?  I think it
>> is clear from this email thread that the answer is no.
>>
>> @Nicholas, no one is saying append is "useless and should be removed."
>> The discussion is perhaps a little more subtle than you've understood
>> it to be.
>>
>> If there are a lot of good use cases I'm all for it, I just don't see
>> downstream projects using it any time soon (which is not to say they
>> don't want it, just that they can't depend on something not in 1.x),
>> and I haven't seen much demand.  I wanted to hear from others if they
>> had.  When I brought it up with a room of hdfs developers from 3
>> different companies no one felt strongly. And so far only a handful of
>> people have chimed in, I actually thought more would.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>>

> --
> Subscribe to my posts at http://www.facebook.com/dhruba