Hive >> mail # user >> Hive on Standalone Machine

Re: Hive on Standalone Machine
Hive needs the hadoop jars to talk to hadoop. The machine that it is
installed on has to have those jars installed. However, it does not need to
be a "part" of the hadoop cluster in the sense that it does not need to
have a TaskTracker or DataNode running. The machine can operate purely as a
client to the hadoop cluster but it needs the hadoop jars to talk to the
hadoop cluster.

Hope that helps...

Ashish