MapReduce >> mail # user >> Viewing hadoop web pages via URL to a back-end Hadoop network, and specifying an alt config directory

Viewing hadoop web pages via URL to a back-end Hadoop network, and specifying an alt config directory
     I have two questions...

      First, our Hadoop cluster uses a back-end, non-routed network for
transfering data, it is not accessible outside and so the URLs the web
page display are inaccessible.   I don't see that I can alter the host
that these pages display, as it would otherwise work on the front-end
IP.    Is there a way I can have these pages display a different host
name?    At the moment, we just copy and paste and edit the URL in the
browser and use the front-end IP to get to things, but that's a
hassle.    I could also NAT a port range from the front-end if I needed
to, with iptables... but at this point, this is seems cosmetic.   Surely
someone else has run into this :-)  Here's an example of what I'm seeing
displayed on the hadoop pages:

      The hadoop web page displays this text:

tracker_hadoop.our-backend.com.:hadoop.our-frontend.com/127.0.0.1:42302

      with the actual URL (click) being:

           http://hadoop.our-backend.com.:50060/

Note the added "." in the actual links, which is not coming from the
config files or /etc/hosts, that I can tell.

The display shows backend -> frontend and the localhost.  Seems a little
convoluted; at least, I know our developers are getting irritated by it :-)
      My second question is partly due to some confusion from reading
the documentation.   We want to manage our Hadoop installation for each
system by moving out the /conf directory to another location.   There
appear to be a few places you can do this, including the command line.
What I can't seem to figure out is where (preferrably at startup) can I
place this value so that it's /inherited/ across the board, so I don't
have to worry about multiple edits?
Thanks!