From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Stack [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 7:53 AM
To: Hbase-User
Subject: Re: How to change split policy of a specific existing table(not global)?‏

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 6:04 AM, WangRamon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi JM
> Thanks for your help, yes, as you said the syntax is totally correct as it
> can be executed in HBase Shell without any errors.
> By checking the source code of class HRegion which initialise the region
> policy from HTableDescriptor, not sure if that SPLIT_POLICY value can be
> dynamically changed after a table(and its first child region) is created?
>
> > 1) If you look in the Web UI, do you see you new attribute set for this
> > table?
> I don't know there is a specific UI which i can view the new attributes
> except the master-status UI, if that's the UI you are talking about, i can
> only see the MAX_FILESIZE property is set correctly:{NAME =>
> 'SPLIT_TEST_BIG', MAX_FILESIZE => '107374182400', FAMILIES => [{NAME =>
> 'f1'}]}

What JMS said.

Seems like you are looking at the right place in the UI.

After altering the table, if you do

hbase> describe "SPLIT_TEST_BIG"

... do you see the new attribute set?

If not, the shell must be not setting this attribute properly (bug).

St.Ack

> > 2) How have you verified that it doesn't work? What do you have on the
> logs?
> I use YCSB to insert data into that table, and i did saw there are some
> new regions created after i running the test for a while. And here is the
> LOG i get from one of the region severs:
> 2013-11-05 08:34:46,571 DEBUG
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.IncreasingToUpperBoundRegionSplitPolicy:
> ShouldSplit because f1 size=414926238, sizeToCheck=134217728,
> regionsWithCommonTable=1
> Any idea?
> ThanksRamon
>
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 07:40:04 -0500
> > Subject: Re: How to change split policy of a specific existing table(not
> global)?‏
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > This seems to be correct.
> >
> > 2 questions.
> >
> > 1) If you look in the Web UI, do you see you new attribute set for this
> > table?
> > 2) How have you verified that it doesn't work? What do you have on the
> logs?
> >
> > JM
> >

> > 2013/11/5 WangRamon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > > Hi Folks
> > > I'm trying to change the default split policy of an existing table in
> > > HBase 0.94.6-cdh4.4.0. The way i think should work is by using HBase
> Shell,
> > > so i executed the following command in the SHELL:
> > > disable 'SPLIT_TEST_BIG'alter 'SPLIT_TEST_BIG', {METHOD => 'table_att',
> > > 'SPLIT_POLICY' =>
> > >
> 'org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.ConstantSizeRegionSplitPolicy'}alter
> > > 'SPLIT_TEST_BIG', {METHOD => 'table_att', 'MAX_FILESIZE' =>
> > > '107374182400'}enable 'SPLIT_TEST_BIG'
> > >
> > > But it doesn't work, only the 'MAX_FILESIZE' property get changed, the
> > > table still uses the default split policy which is
> > > 'IncreasingToUpperBoundRegionSplitPolicy', so can anyone tell me what
> is
> > > the correct way to do it, thanks!
> > > CheersRamon

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.