Accumulo >> mail # dev >> StatsIterator - what is the significance of 23?

Re: StatsIterator - what is the significance of 23?
At a guess, it looks like a small prime intended to decrease the amount of
atomic operations.

Completely unrelated, but this made me think of Feynman and the mysterious
number 137.