MapReduce, mail # dev - Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x

+
Todd Lipcon 2012-03-28, 18:53
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-03-28, 18:59
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-03-28, 19:02
+
Owen OMalley 2012-03-28, 19:25
Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x
Todd Lipcon 2012-03-28, 19:32
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Owen O'Malley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I disagree. Trunk should become branch-3 once someone wants to start
> stabilizing it. Arun is going to need the minor versions for when he adds
> features.
>
> X.Y.Z
>
> Z = bug fixes
> Y = minor release (compatible, adds features)
> X = major release (incompatible)
I agree with this classification.

> So from branch-2 will come branch-2.0 with tags for 2.0.0, 2.0.1. New
> features will go into branch-2, which will become branch-2.1, branch-2.2,
> and so on.

But new features also go to trunk. And if none of our new features are
incompatible, why do we anticipate that trunk is 3.0?

Basically trunk is almost identical to branch-2 right now... I guess
my proposal is basically to not bother having a trunk separate from a
branch-2, and use a branch-2.0 for continued stabilization of what we
currently call branch-23. When someone has something incompatible to
propose, then we can bother splitting it off..

Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera