HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter

Re: [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter
There shouldn't be any ambiguity. There's fully-qualified table names and there's table names.  Table name constant changes were to make the names less funky.

I like your suggestion since it simplifies migration. Though it seems we're kicking the can down the road here. In a way we're avoiding the problem by specifying an internal delimiter and adding extra complexity to prevent the user from using it. Having a way of specifying a table fully qualified seems to be something fundamental and convenient, if we don't support one now we'll have even more trouble in the future. Looking at the suggestions we can potentially make migration painless by recognizing existing tables with "." as part of the default namespace or automatically create namespaces for tables with dots in them. Neither requires renaming tables. They only need to rename tables if they want to start organizing things into namespaces which they will have to do in any scenario.

-Francis