Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] Powered by Logo

Re: [VOTE] Powered by Logo
Luke Lu 2011-06-20, 21:42
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Ted Dunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But keep in mind that creating new logos forever will tend to prevent
> consensus being formed.  That will result in the same result as no decision
> at all (i.e. everybody will just use their own).

The the binding votes are from limited number of PMC members. I see no
obstacle reaching consensus even if we have much larger number of
selections.

> Owen already asked for votes on the original 6.  The only substantive
> difference in the new logo is the addition of the feature (and the
> esthetic/political sub-text issue of putting the feather in the elephants
> nose).

Elephant's nose is a versatile hand. What political sub-text are you
talking about? I see no problem with an elephant upholding an apache
feather. OTOH, feather in hand/nose is not the most substantive
element rather than playful variation. The key element is the theme of
apache and hadoop bigger than the proverbial elephant.

>  Font size can and will be adjusted.  That adjustment will be done by
> our art team in MapR if the circle logo concept is the accepted consensus.

Since you eluded aesthetic and political sub-text, the MapR circle is
problematic as well, which IMO looks like a plastic button or a
deformed mouse wheel confining the elephant.

> My own view here is that consensus is at least as important as the precise
> content.  Adding new options tends to value small details in content over
> consensus.  I would prefer to not muddy the issue further.

Again, I see no problem reaching a consensus here, given the limited
number of binding votes.