HBase >> mail # dev >> Re: [ANNOUNCE] Secondary Index in HBase - from Huawei

+
Andrew Purtell 2013-08-13, 18:31
+
Michael Segel 2013-08-14, 15:45
+
Vladimir Rodionov 2013-08-14, 16:40
+
Michael Segel 2013-08-14, 19:53
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> This isn't too bad if you're doing a simple query against one index. You
> can do the work by RS and then join the results from all RS.
>
> However… what happens if you have two indexes and your result set is going
> to be the intersection of the indexes?
>
> Or you're going to do a join between two tables using the indexes to limit
> the result set?
>
> Now your design breaks down quickly.

You may have just described their design assumptions.

I'm not endorsing this per se, but suggesting it is not a good idea on
account it can't live up to the requirements of a pretty particular
strawman seems a step too far.

Maybe someone from Huawei can talk a bit here about successful use cases?

> You could also look at Lucene which we did a PoC a few years back.

A certain large technology company has an HBase full text index built on
Lucene that might be offered as a contribution at some point. From what I
know of it, there are a different set of tradeoffs and it certainly won't
work for everyone, and not because the people working on it were not smart
enough to find a silver bullet.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy