Accumulo, mail # dev - contrib vs. pushed to other projects

Re: contrib vs. pushed to other projects
Donald Miner 2013-10-21, 19:38
Speaking from my recent experience with the flume/accumulo integration,
here are my 2 cents. The Accumulo sink was suggested to get committed into
Flume, which is what we are doing now.

First, I was impressed by how willing the Flume community was willing to
help us conform to their standards to get it committed. This appears pretty
normal in my experience across projects. However, reaching out to someone
in the flume community and playing by their rules makes it slightly harder
for me to contribute something like this.

So, regardless if it makes sense technically, maybe right now it's just
mostly about getting the contributions in. Today, I think it's more likely
an Accumulo developer wants to integrate with other things than the other
way around... so accumulo-contrib is the easiest path for someone like me
who wants to make these types of contributions. I think this is a corollary
to Chris's #2: Who is going to be responsible for maintaining it?

When other projects start independently doing Accumulo integration
independently, we'll know Accumulo "made it" ;)

-don