Drill >> mail # dev >> timeline for dist execution

+
David Alves 2013-04-05, 22:31
+
Michael Hausenblas 2013-04-05, 22:36
+
Lisen Mu 2013-04-07, 03:39
Re: timeline for dist execution
I'll try to drop some of my work and thoughts on the list this week.
As always with these things, everything takes longer than one would
like...

I am also thinking that it might be good to do a google hangout
brainstorming session soon around some of this stuff to help move
things along.

On Apr 6, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Lisen Mu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> +1
>
> It would be nice to see what's the current status and future plan on in-mem
> data representation in the dist exec engine.
>
> I was previously going to do something about DataValue in exec/ref. However
> after some reading into previous discussions in the maillist and some links
> in 'useful research' wiki page
> (vldb09-tutorial6.pdf<http://www.vldb.org/pvldb/2/vldb09-tutorial6.pdf>
> abadisigmod06.pdf<http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/dna/papers/abadisigmod06.pdf>
> etc.)
>
> I found it non-trivial and crucial building block to build in-mem data
> structure. Incremental optimisation based on current DataValue seems a bad
> idea.
>
> So what's your thought on this? If we could get a sketch, I would very much
> like to do something on this issue.
>

> On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 6:31 AM, David Alves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>>        I was wondering if there is a timeline on when we might get a
>> sketch of the dist execution engine.
>>        As I mentioned before I have a little over a month to get
>> something working and I'm starting to get a bit worried.
>>        I've been working in the parallel per region hbase scanner and
>> soon I'll have something usable.
>>        I can definitely put in a few hours working/helping on it if that
>> helps, but as previously suggested I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.
>>        Right now I was thinking that something that plugs-in to the
>> reference implementation (i.e. would not require a stable SE iface) would
>> be a nice start.
>>        What do you think?
>>
>> Best
>> David