Hive >> mail # dev >> Possible patch to fix column comments with non-native SerDe

+
Stephen R. Scaffidi 2012-08-06, 21:15
Re: Possible patch to fix column comments with non-native SerDe
This was fixed in Hive 8 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2171).
 Can you just apply that patch?

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Stephen R. Scaffidi <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My team and I have been trying, with limited success, to use the COMMENT
> feature of hive columns to maintain documentation for the tables and
> columns in our data-warehouse built on hive. However, we use a number of
> custom and non-native SerDes, and what happens to those tables is that the
> comments always get overwritten with the string "from deserializer".
>
> I've possibly found a way to work around this from within hive but I want
> to get some insight from the hive-dev community to figure out whether or
> not this is a patently bad idea and we are just setting ourselves up for
> pain later on.
>
> I won't go into all the details but it seems to work in our (so far)
> limited testing. However, we are using hive 0.7.1 and the patch I am
> sending is against master/HEAD.
>
> Please let me know if this is an acceptable approach to preserving column
> comments with non-native SerDes or not!

+
Stephen Scaffid 2012-08-06, 22:59
+