Pig >> mail # user >> Ruby 1.9 and jRuby 1.7

+
Dan 2013-04-11, 14:20
Re: Ruby 1.9 and jRuby 1.7
Dan,

I implemented most of the jruby stuff. Glad to hear you're trying it out!
Please let us know what your experience is like.

I definitely had plans to upgrade to jruby 1.7, and am not sure why I never
did...hmm.

Ahh, ok, it's part of this patch...which still isn't committed...you should
bump it :)

I definitely think we should upgrade, and 1.9 should be the default.

That said, if you
check src/org/apache/pig/scripting/jruby/JrubyScriptEngine.java , the ruby
engine it attempts to set up is 1.9 BUT in 1.6.7 this can be buggy. To be
absolutely sure you need to set an environment variable (I think that's
documented in the JIRA).

Mainly we should just apply that patch :)
2013/4/11 Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hey,
>
> With the last release support for jRuby was added to Pig. I've started
> using this now for some work I'm doing but there are a few details missing
> that are hard to pull out of the pig code.
>
> I can't see anywhere we are specifying the version of Ruby that the
> embedded jRuby engine is using? In jRuby 1.6 it will default down to 1.8
> which I think might be happening.
>
> It might be useful to add a parameter so we can specify which version of
> ruby to be using if not?
>
> Also are there any plans to support jRuby 1.7 as this has quite a large
> performance improvement, especially with Java 7. jRuby 1.7 defaults to Ruby
> 1.9 which is also another change.
>
> Any thoughts from others using this would be great?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

+
Dan 2013-04-12, 17:03