Flume >> mail # user >> Restarts without data loss

Re: Restarts without data loss
Arvind,

to me this is an important use-case for frequent prod rollouts. How about
thinking in the direction of supporting graceful shutdown for agents.

I can't think of an elegant solution at the moment which will address all
cases however what are thoughts regarding something on the lines ->

1. agent receives a shutdown signal.
2. puts all it's channel in isolation mode(wherein no sources can put stuff
into it.)
3. when the sinks attached to this channel drain( we do the real shutdown).

i know we can find issues with this algo however i want to highlight the
importance of graceful shutdown being supported as a first class use-case
here.

- Inder

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM, alo alt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Simple solution:
>
> Two configs on different ports, iptables with transparent forwarding to
> both ports. Block the first one, all events will be redirected to the other
> port. Wait 5 minutes, the mem channel should be clear now. Do you changes,
> start the new config, redirect the traffic to these port and change the
> other config.
>
> cheers,
>  alex
>

> On Jul 9, 2012, at 8:29 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Senthilvel Rangaswamy <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> We are using Flume 1.2.0 with memory channel. When we rollout new
> >> configs/decorators
> >> we may need to restart flume at which point any events in memory channel
> >> is gone. Any
> >> ways to avoid this ?
> >>

> > One way to address this would be to make sure that the upstream sink or
> > client can be routed to a different agent when necessary. That way when
> you
> > do want to restart the file channel, you would first route all the
> traffic
> > elsewhere, drain the channel and then do the shutdown as necessary. Once
> > the system is back up, you could route the traffic back to this agent.
> >
> > I am sure that there are multiple other ways of doing this.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Arvind Prabhakar
> >

> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> ..Senthil
> >>
> >> "If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it
> >> caught and shot now."
> >>                                                    - Douglas Adams.
> >>

> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz