HBase, mail # dev - Cell Encoders and usage of Cell

Cell Encoders and usage of Cell
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-04-17, 17:16
Hi

With the introduction of the new Cell Interface we are providing a way
where both the RPC usage of cell and the usage of Cell in HFile are
unified.(abstracted)

The current block encoder which encodes the kvs into hfile blocks will be
enhanced may be BlockEncode2 which will deal with Cell encoding and the
same will be written to HFile.

Does that mean that there are going to be changes to the HFile format also?
 Just to understand is my understanding here correct or not.

Because as the Cell interface the row, family, qualifier all are treated as
individual byte arrays.  Also it does not provide a way to access the
getKeyOffset() and getKeyLength().

This is in lieu with HBASE-7448 - Adding tags to cell interface and then
the same will  be used in
HBASE-7663 - Visibility labels.

May be further queries/doubts can be posted on those relevant JIRAs to
proceed work on that.

Regards
Ram