Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop

Re: [DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
Hey Arun,

On Jul 25, 2012, at 7:11 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Jul 25, 2012, at 7:03 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>
>> Hi Arun,
>>
>> IMHO, it sounds like you guys might be better off proposing a new project for the Apache Incubator.
>> Looking at the things you list below the ---, it looks like an Incubator proposal minus the initial committer
>> list, and affiliations and mentors/champions ;)
>>

> Fair point, thanks for chiming in Chris. However, I think we should revisit that when everything in Apache Hadoop (Common, HDFS, YARN & MapReduce) can fly out of the nest as separate projects.

Yep the way I've seen them managed, IMHO, they should be separate projects.

> That, I think, is too early and also that keeping Common, HDFS, YARN & MapReduce together has value in ensuring that Hadoop continues to move along at a fair clip.

I realize I'm asking a hard question here: why *aren't* they separate projects? What's the barrier? They seem
to be operating that way (and have been for a while). And I don't see how Hadoop still couldnt' move along at
a fair clip with them as official TLPs themselves.

>> If you don't want to go to that level, I don't think you guys need anyone's permission, and/or etc., right?
>> If YARN is a product of the Apache Hadoop PMC, you guys, as the PMC, can develop it and evolve it
>> (it = the software and the community) how you guys see fit.
>>

> Agreed. Which is why I'm trying to gather consensus among the Hadoop community.

Yeah I know you are doing great -- my point is, technically, what consensus is required -- you develop code at Apache
as individuals -- code is committed -- as are patches, etc. The PMC is there to regulate that, but it sounds like code wise
you are proposing an svn mv command -- do you need an email thread to discuss that? Why not just do it, and if someone
has a problem, *then* discuss? Dunno, that's just my opinion.

The things that you are proposing that are new (e.g., mailing lists) will serve to splinter (at least the discussion in) the community IMHO --
this is spoken from experience in 2 situations (Nutch, Lucene) where we had an umbrella projects with tons of virtual "sub projects" that
in the end have thrived as their own individual projects. if you are going to go that far, why not create a new Incubator project and just do
it clean from the start?

Cheers,
Chris

>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>>

>> On Jul 25, 2012, at 6:40 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> It's been nearly a year since we merged Hadoop YARN into trunk and we have made several releases since.
>>>
>>> It's exciting to see various open-source communities (both in the ASF and externally) start to explore integration with YARN such as Apache Hama, Apache Giraph, Apache S4, Spark etc. This promises to help us realize our hopes of making Apache Hadoop a much more general data processing platform (& storage, of course) and not tied to MapReduce alone for processing data. Furthermore, we already have people contributing interesting prototypes such as DistributedShell and PaaS on YARN.
>>>
>>> Given this, I think it would be useful to make YARN a sub-project of Apache Hadoop along with Common, HDFS & MapReduce. I believe this would help other communities realize that they could consider using YARN as a general-purpose resource management layer and help us enhance YARN beyond it's humble beginnings.
>>>
>>> Clearly, YARN and MapReduce are different enough that they can and will attract a diverse community.
>>>
>>> I'd like to clarify that this proposal *does not* mean we move the code base out of hadoop/common/ tree. It just alleviates hadoop-yarn alongside hadoop-common, hadoop-hdfs & hadoop-mapreduce in hadoop/trunk. Also, there would be *no changes* to release cycles - YARN would be co-released with Common, HDFS & MapReduce.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> What does it mean to the Hadoop developer community?
>>>
>>> # Project dependencies
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246