HBase, mail # user - HBase type support

+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-13, 16:42
+
David Koch 2013-03-14, 16:51
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-15, 12:25
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-15, 17:06
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-15, 22:35
Re: HBase type support
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-19, 20:34
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Michel Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> So how do you check types in a column when the column isn't defined in the
> Schema?

In this proposal, it's not up to HBase to enforce types or schema, just as
it does not do these things today. What we're proposing is a set of
utilities that take the burdon of correct serialization off of user code. I
request that you please read the proposal in its entirety before commenting
further.

Thanks,
Nick

On Mar 15, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Nick Dimiduk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Michel Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> You do realize that having to worry about one type is easier...
> >
> > For HBase developers, that's true. The side-effect is that those worries
> > are pushed out into users' applications. Think of the application
> developer
> > who's accustomed to all the accoutrements provided by the Management
> System
> > part of an RDBMS. They pick up HBase and have none of that. I think the
> > motivations outlined in the attached document make a good case for
> bringing
> > some of that burden out of users' applications.
> >
> > A bit more freedom...
> >
> > Support for raw byte[] doesn't go away. In this proposal, bytes remain
> the
> > core plumbing of the system.
> >
> > -n

> >> proposed