Hadoop, mail # general - Thinking about the next hadoop mainline release

Re: Thinking about the next hadoop mainline release
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-17, 17:31

On Jun 17, 2011, at 12:17 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
> Yahoo stands ready to help us (the Apache Hadoop Community) turn this new release into a stable release by running it through its 9 month test and burn in process.  The result of that will be another stable release such as 0.18, 0.20 or 0.20.203 (hadoop with security).
I'd consider 0.20.203 pseudo-stable.  It has some significant regressions on non-Linux platforms due to libhadoop.so being a dumping ground for all compiled code.  On OS X, hadoop actually lies about things now. Nine months of testing is useless for those folks if the outcome is another 0.20.203.
> I think this effort will produce a great new Apache Hadoop release for the community.  I'm starting this thread to collect feedback and hopefully folks' endorsement for merging in MR-279 and putting together this new release.  Feedback please?
For .23, we desperately need to have libhadoop tell the Java code what it supports rather than just assuming that all the functionality is present if the library loads.  I pretty much consider this a blocking issue.