From: Amr Awadallah [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:58 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MapSide join in Hive

Viraj,

1. No
2. Yes, smaller table needs to fit in jvm memory (typically more than
1GB for small table is too large).

See slide 7 and after in this preso for different join strategies that
can help in case the tables are bucketed and sorted.

http://www.slideshare.net/zshao/hive-user-meeting-march-2010-hive-team

There is also the /*+STREAMTABLE(tablealias)*/ hint, which you should
use for very large tables (or make sure it is the rightmost table in the
join clause).

-- amr