Avro >> mail # dev >> Ruby gem fork - contribute back?

Re: Ruby gem fork - contribute back?
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Willem van Bergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I can see a couple of options:
  1. Assume that no one actually uses Ruby 1.8 anymore, and upgrade to
1.9 in Avro 1.7.7.  A change that doesn't break anyone isn't
incompatible.
  2. Assume some folks still use Ruby 1.8 and add a ruby1.9 fork in
Avro 1.7.7.  Ruby users who upgrade to Avro 1.7.7 would need to opt-in
to the Ruby 1.9 version.
  3. Wait until we release 1.8.0 to upgrade Avro to support Ruby 1.9.

(3) seems like a bad option unless we're confident we're going to
release a 1.8.0 soon, which I am not.  Folks hate getting broken by
upgrades.  Avro is a dependency of a lot of Java applications.  Having
an incompatible release makes it hard for one component to upgrade
without forcing all to upgrade.  Either you end up with a broken stack
or with one that can never upgrade.  Which of (1) or (2) seems more
palatable to Ruby folks?  Are there other options?

Doug