Avro >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Hadoop 1 support in Avro 1.8

[DISCUSS] Hadoop 1 support in Avro 1.8
AVRO-1567 is attempting to get Avro working well with the IBM JVM and some
of our dependency on Hadoop is causing them pain.

Specifically, there's some location where we rely on Hadoop 1 core for a
method that internally uses Sun JVM specific code. In Hadoop 2's client the
issue is fixed.

Doug mentioned the possibility that we simply drop Hadoop 1 support for 1.8
and rely on the presence of a fix in the Hadoop 2 version.

What do folks think?

Personally, I'm -0. As an alternative, I think we could change 1.8 to
default the tools artifact to Hadoop 2 without expressly dropping Hadoop 1
support.

Are there other compelling reasons to drop Hadoop 1 APIs?

Sean