Hadoop, mail # general - Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Mattmann, Chris A 2011-09-09, 23:56
Chris,

Well put, +1.

Cheers,
Chris

On Sep 9, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Chris Douglas wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Eli Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> For completeness, Chris proposed a while back [1] that the RM is
>> selected by majority PMC approval. He never proposed a vote to adopt
>> these rules, but if we did, would they be invalid, ie according to
>> other rules established at Apache?  Ie does this project have the
>> ability to establish it's own rules/norms w/o you telling us how our
>> project works?
>>
>> 1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%[EMAIL PROTECTED]%3E
>
> The intent was to evolve the policies we had at the time to an RM-like
> role. As Tom raised in that thread, much of the intermediate phase is
> unnecessary. In the project's current state, much of that proposal is
> no longer coherent.
>
> For instance, electing an RM is an unnecessary formality. Further,
> enforcing the version compatibility rules across the 0.20.2xx and
> various 0.2x branches is prohibitively expensive. As demonstrated by
> previous experience, making prohibitively expensive rules motivates
> external forks, not coherence. They're useful guidelines for what the
> PMC is likely to approve, but I expect we'll show more flexibility
> than what that proposal outlined.
>
> In practice, we already exercise all the important elements of that
> proposal. Someone creates a branch and intends to release from it,
> others may help them, and if an artifact is produced then the PMC
> votes on whether to release it. Any debate, accusation, and
> recrimination concerning "investing" in a branch is pointless because
> the "result" of the debate is irrelevant. Other than venting some
> spleen, this thread has no functional consequence.
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Roy T. Fielding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> No RM has the final say on anything other than their own work.
>
> That's consistent with the position as forwarded. We're using "the
> RM's branch" as a shorthand for "whatever the RM has elected to
> include." Your comments highlight nuance, not fundamental dissonance.
>
>> I think there's a huge gap between the current understanding of the RM
>> in our community and what you've outlined.
>
> It's vanishingly small, but important. Ownership of a branch isn't
> vested in an RM, neither is it transferrable. If someone wanted to
> commit something to a branch, they aren't required to ask the RM. Now,
> it's *polite*, and I hope that most would give a heads-up for anything
> they were unsure of, but the repository isn't a hierarchy of
> dictatorships. The source tree is lock-free. -C
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]