Kafka, mail # user - Committing offsets

+
David Arthur 2012-11-08, 14:22
Re: Committing offsets
Jun Rao 2012-11-08, 15:31
Once message 3 is returned in next(), offset moves to message 4. So, if the
offset is committed and the consumer crashes, another consumer resumes
consumption from message 4. If auto commit is enabled, the offset is
committed periodically. If you use manual offset commit, you can commit the
offset after the message is truly consumed.

Thanks,

Jun

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 6:22 AM, David Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Suppose I'm iterating through messages from a topic with 6 messages. I
> consume message three messages and then commit (or an auto-commit happens).
>
> message 1
> message 2
> message 3
>                       <--- commit
> message 4
> message 5
> message 6
>
> I'm wondering what offset is committed here. Is it the beginning of
> message 3 or the end of message 3?
>
> I'm particularly curious about what happens if I'm consuming messages and
> a commit occurs, but then something goes wrong and I fail to process that
> message (whatever "process" means here). Ideally, if I commit in the above
> scenario and then my consumer dies, the consumers will rebalance and
> someone else will pick up message 3. Is this what happens?
>
> This also leads me to ponder about corrupt messages and retries and
> skipping "bad" messages...
>
> Cheers,
> David
+