Hive >> mail # user >> count the characters in a string

Re: count the characters in a string
Hive has a whole lot of functionality that is built-in into it. You should
look at length(string) function for what you want to achieve. Also I would
suggest reading the hive language manual at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual. You can
also read
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+UDF, it
lists a lot of functions that are possible in hive.