HBase >> mail # dev >> HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)

Re: HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > You are not in favor of what is doc'd as community decision?
>
> No, and as a member of the community let me indicate that and suggest
> reconsideration.

Lets start up a formal discussion then Andrew with a DISCUSSION subject
rather than do it down here on the tail of an unrelated thread.

> > The policy has a mechanism for skirting absent owners; i.e. two +1s by
> random
> committers == an owner's +1.
>
> The ownership idea looks good on paper, but has it worked out? People on
> the project come and go, and volunteer the time they can, which is variable
> - this is normal and expected.

The lieutenant idea is 'working' IMO: witness Jimmy input on all to do w/
AM, you or Gary on security/CPs, and so on.  It would be better if it was
more comprehensive with more components having more active guardians.

> Perhaps we can address the issue of crap commits more directly? Is that
> possible?

If you have suggestion, I'm all ears.

Other means have been tried -- education and shaming to name two -- but
these work sporadically if at all and even afterward, we still have
unwanted 'testing infrastructure' committed caught only after a second
reviewer showed up after the commit, changes to critical sections without
proofing on 'real' cluster under 'real' loads (where the settings that work
for unit tests, as it can be imagined, can fail miserably), and then
incompatible changes being committed by 'veterans' even up unto recently (I
have been guilty of all the above listed myself).

I'm kinda of stumped on figuring another means of upping the quality of
what goes in other than upping the friction.  Fixing incompatibilities
after a release is paid not by the committer but some other poor
unfortunate, downstream soul and the price is usually way in excess of
letting the patch steam a while until a second or third reviewer has had a
looksee (I was recently such an unfortunate myself).

We could spend more time on our testing infra.  That would help w/ perf
regressions and unexpected side effect bugs.  We could build a public rig
for incompatibility checking (Our Aleks has made a start).  We've made a
bunch of progress in the testing area over the 0.96 period w/ the hbase-it
set but we could do more surfacing a public cluster w/ folks 'concerned' on
error or fall-off in perf, or incompatibilites, taking up the fixing of the
regression as a priority.  If we had this in place, it would substitute for
our introducing more friction (though we should have the friction anyways
because better test infra won't catch the new 'testing infrastructure' or
plain bad design).

St.Ack