HBase >> mail # user >> Best technique for doing lookup with Secondary Index

Re: Best technique for doing lookup with Secondary Index
Anoop:  In prePut hook u call HTable#put()?
Anil: Yes i call HTable#put() in prePut. Is there better way of doing it?

Anoop: Why use the network calls from server side here then?
Anil: I thought this is a cleaner approach since i am using BulkLoader. I
decided not to run two jobs since i am generating a UniqueIdentifier at
runtime in bulkloader.

Anoop: can not handle it from client alone?
Anil: I cannot handle it from client since i am using BulkLoader. Is it a
good idea to create Htable instance on "B" and do put in my mapper? I might
try this idea.

Anoop: You can have a look at Lily project.
Anil: It's little late for us to evaluate Lily now and at present we dont
need complex secondary index since our data is immutable.

Ram: what is rowkey B here?
Anil: Suppose i am storing customer events in table A. I have two
requirement for data query:
1. Query customer events on basis of customer_Id and event_ID.
2. Query customer events on basis of event_timestamp and customer_ID.

70% of querying is done by query#1, so i will create
<customer_Id><event_ID> as row key of Table A.
Now, in order to support fast results for query#2, i need to create a
secondary index on A. I store that secondary index in B, rowkey of B is
<event_timestamp><customer_ID>  .Every row stores the corresponding rowkey
of A.

Ram:How is the startRow determined for every query?
Anil: Its determined by a very simple application logic.

Thanks,
Anil Gupta

--
Thanks & Regards,