HDFS >> mail # dev >> Merging the HA branch to trunk - Wednesday, February 29th

Merging the HA branch to trunk - Wednesday, February 29th
Hello HDFS devs,

Work has largely stabilized on the HA-branch in the last few weeks. At this
point the HA NN project is nearly feature-complete for manual failover.
We've been running the full test suite nightly, and all automated tests
have been passing, except for one known test failure which should be fixed
shortly.

I'd like to begin the process of merging this branch back to HDFS trunk.
There are still several outstanding sub-JIRAs under the HDFS-1623 and
HADOOP-7454 umbrella JIRAs, but most of these are either nice-to-haves or
relate to supporting automatic failover. Once the branch is merged to
trunk, work on these JIRAs can continue there.

I've identified the following JIRAs which I think should be the only
remaining blockers for merging to trunk:

HDFS-2904 - Client support for getting delegation tokens in an HA cluster
HDFS-2920 - Fix remaining TODOs in the code from HA. Mostly little cleanup
stuff.
HDFS-2958 - Sweep for remaining proxy construction which doesn't go through
failover path
HDFS-2979 - Balancer should use logical URI for creating failover proxy
(will fix the only current test failure)

All of these JIRAs should be fixed in the next few days.

I propose that, unless more blocker issues are discovered in the interim,
we merge this branch to trunk one week from today, i.e. Wednesday, February
29th. During this time we will also execute the test plans described in the
test documents attached to HDFS-1623 to try to identify any regressions or
performance issues in the branch. If you plan to review the code changes or
the test plan, I ask that you please do so as soon as possible.

Feedback is certainly welcome on this plan.

Thanks a lot,
Aaron

--
Aaron T. Myers