Zookeeper, mail # user - Multi question on using previous ops results

Re: Multi question on using previous ops results
Ted Dunning 2012-05-18, 16:46
No.  It still isn't clear what benefit is of putting the version number of
one field into another.

You seem to be focussing in on the minutiae of your proposed method rather
than on the goal that you really want to solve.

A problem that seems similar to what you want is to form a graph where A
refers to B refers to C refers to A.  The desired option would be update
the graph atomically so that B now points to D which points to A.  The
intended use of multi here would be to do the standard read-modify-write
sort of cycle where you read the contents and versions of the items to be
updated or referenced in one operation and then in the next you do an
update which is conditioned on version with items which must remain static
having a version check.  You repeat this cycle as many times as it takes,
presumably backing off between attempts.

This has a theoretical possibility of fast updaters starving slow updaters
but this has never even been a possibility in any system I have seen,
largely because update rates are typically pretty low.

Can you say again on a higher level what you really want to do?