Hive >> mail # user >> SerDe for Fixed Columns?

SerDe for Fixed Columns?
Hi! Sorry to ask such a basic question, but

How do I import data from a text file with fixed columns (no delimiter)? I.e, column 1 is characters 1-6, column 2 is characters 7-11, column 3 is character 12, column 4 is character 13, and so forth?  I'd be surprised if no one has written a SerDe for this.

The manual talks about a MetadataTypedColumnsetSerDe, a ThriftSerDe, a DynamicSerDe, and SerDes for JSON, Avro and ORC.  I also searched Bing for "site:mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-user/ serde fixed", but that didn't appear to have anything relevant.

FWIW, the dataset is the National Immunization Survey: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nis/data_files.htm

DISCLAIMER
=========This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.