Accumulo, mail # dev - Re: Python client lib for Accumulo?

+
Edmon Begoli 2012-07-27, 03:15
+
Keith Turner 2012-07-27, 16:43
+
David Medinets 2012-07-27, 09:27
+
Edmon Begoli 2012-07-27, 11:19
Re: Python client lib for Accumulo?
Jim Klucar 2012-07-27, 11:37
Welcome Edmon. I think as far as a pure python library goes, you would
have to interface with the thrift protocols. My sense is that would be
discouraged at this point by the devs. I do have some experience with
it though, I made an attempt to interface to Accumulo with Node.js. It
turned into me writing the JavaScript version of TCompactProtocol, but
it's still incomplete at this point. I would vote for either
developing an officially supported Thrift interface, or an officially
supported REST interface using a JVM language. Then the language
barrier would be easier to overcome.

Jim

On Jul 27, 2012, at 7:19 AM, Edmon Begoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I think that Jython is a good idea as at least a prototype or as a bridge
> towards a full blown python library.
>
> It is probably not a good end state because most Python developers do not
> want JVM and Java environment, and there is also performance overhead.
>
> Personally, I program in both languages, so I am good.
>
> Is there a particular protocol about contributing to accumulo project?
> On Jul 27, 2012 5:27 AM, "David Medinets" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Edmon Begoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I have just joined the list with the purpose of volunteering ideas,
>>> design and development (and whatever else in lifecycle)
>>> related to development of the Python client for accumulo.
>>
>> Welcome to the list. There are a lot of Python developers and I'm sure
>> that your client would be well received by the community. My own
>> advice is to write whatever is simplest (fastest to develop) and
>> iterate towards a more complex complete solution.
>>
>> Would jython be any use to provide python access to the existing Java
>> API without any rewrite or plumbing needed?

+
David Medinets 2012-07-27, 12:50
+
Jim Klucar 2012-07-27, 13:01