HBase >> mail # user >> HBase 0.94 security configurations

+
Bob Futrelle 2012-12-18, 04:15
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-12-18, 04:25
+
Bob Futrelle 2012-12-18, 04:47
+
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-18, 08:19
+
Bob Futrelle 2012-12-18, 18:15
+
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-18, 18:26
+
Mesika, Asaf 2012-12-18, 20:33
+
Bob Futrelle 2012-12-18, 22:27
+
Bob Futrelle 2012-12-18, 23:36
Re: HBase 0.94 security configurations

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Bob Futrelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I'm sure I found all the jars I need.

The suggestion that you didn't have all the jars you need is based on the
NoClassDefFound exception you mentioned earlier.

 I'm not a Maven user.

I don't think anyone really *wants* to be a maven user. It is a MoreSimple
solution to dependency management. If you're an Eclipse and Ant user, you
are accustomed to pulling in dependencies by hand, and then dependencies'
dependencies, and so on. Maven, for all the NotSoSimple it introduces,
makes this part almost pleasant. You don't need to understand maven well to
make basic use of it.

My son understands Maven well.
> He knows about the system I'm developing.
> He suggests that there is no need for me to learn and use Maven.

I cannot comment regarding this claim.

My approach is straightforward.
> I let Eclipse do the builds and have been for,
> I don't know - the last ten years?

You can still let Eclipse do the builds; use maven to define the
dependencies and Eclipse can invoke it on your behalf. That's how many of
us work every day.

I get plenty of "Warn" and "Info" lines in my console.
> Then it settles down to repeating this block of lines indefinitely:
>
> 12/12/18 17:00:22 WARN zookeeper.RecoverableZooKeeper: Possibly transient
> ZooKeeper exception:
> KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss for /hbase/master

I wonder if your HMaster process stopped for some reason. You can verify
that it's running using this command, your output will look something like
this:

$ jps -l
22783 org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster
22846 sun.tools.jps.Jps
15687

A simple confirmation that the process is up and running. I recommend
running this a couple minutes after you run start-hbase. It can take a
while for the JVM to launch, spawn threads, bind to ports, etc. All this
business is because HBase is a bit more complex than an embedded SQL engine
-- different beasts.

java.lang.SecurityException: Unable to locate a login configuration
> occurred when trying to find JAAS configuration.

This is to annoying. From my understanding, it's related to a bug in the
JVM that Apple ships. See more details on this ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7489. See the comment about
exporting HADOOP_OPTS for a potential method for silencing this warning.

The serious exception is the java.net.ConnectException.  This develops
> after the four calls above listed below the exception, starting in
> ZooKeeper.

Yep, this sounds like try, try, try, fail logic happening. Do be absolutely
sure the HMaster process is running.

I'm thinking that I have to arrange what ./bin/start-hbase.sh does so it is
> in synch with what my code is trying to do, or vice-versa --- some common
> object/protocol that they agree on.  Then a connection should work.

So long as the hbase-client matches the hbase-serve jar versions, you
should be all good. If something is broken in the start-hbase script, we
(the HBase project) has much bigger issues.

There's lots of info about enabling HBase security, but I think I should
> disable it, though all the output above suggest that the SaslClient
> exception is only a *warn*.  I've found no explicit discussions out there
> about disabling security or about not enabling it - same thing in the end.
>  All my work is behind my firewall.

Aside from the JAAS error I described above, the best way to not have
security hassles is to be sure you're running a version of HBase that
doesn't include security. Hence my earlier questions regarding which
distribution you're running.

I'm impressed how complicated it is to do something of a Hello World in
> HBase.

I used Java DB embedded in my apps for some years.  It is simple to use.
>  It is slow.  It is SQL.
> I want NOSlow and NOSQL, but I don't want NOSimple  ;-)

Nothing says "complex" like a massively concurrent, distributed
state-management system like the combined powers of HDFS and HBase. That
said, I want our client interfaces to be as simple and intuitive as
possible. HBase is very different from the embedded SQL engines to which
you're likely accustomed. If you're looking for an embedded NoSQL instead
of a distributed NoSQL, maybe we can recommend a better alternative to
HBase? Can you describe further your expectations?

Thanks,
Nick